Saint Paul logo
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: Ord 11-70    Version:
Type: Ordinance Status: Passed
In control: City Council
Final action: 8/24/2011
Title: Preserving the status quo within a specified area in the vicinity of the University of St. Thomas pending the completion and report of a zoning study and possible action on that study, including amending the City's official controls to regulate the conversion of one- and two- and three-family homes into student housing.
Sponsors: Russ Stark
Attachments: 1. moratoriummap.pdf, 2. RES PH 11-1015 Thomas C Ernst Communication.pdf, 3. Ord 11-70 constituent emails.pdf, 4. Ord 11-70 WSNAC email.pdf, 5. Ord 11-70 constituent e-mail.pdf, 6. Ord 11-70 Smith email.pdf
Date Ver.Action ByActionResultAction DetailsMeeting DetailsVideo
8/31/20113 Mayor's Office Signed  Action details Meeting details Not available
8/24/20113 City Council AdoptedPass Action details Meeting details Not available
8/17/20113 City Council Public Hearing Closed; Laid Over to Fourth Reading/Final AdoptionPass Action details Meeting details Not available
8/10/20112 City Council Amended and Laid Over for Third ReadingPass Action details Meeting details Not available
8/3/20111 City Council Amended and Laid Over for Second ReadingPass Action details Meeting details Not available
Title
Preserving the status quo within a specified area in the vicinity of the University of St. Thomas pending the completion and report of a zoning study and possible action on that study, including amending the City's official controls to regulate the conversion of one- and two- and three-family homes into student housing.

Body
The Council of the City of Saint Paul does hereby ordain:

Section 1.

Statement of Legislative Intent and Findings of the City Council: The Council of the City of Saint Paul, in Resolution 11-1406, requested the planning commission to undertake a zoning study regarding the conversion of residential structures in the City's traditional neighborhoods surrounding the campus of the University of St. Thomas ("UST") which describes itself as Minnesota's largest non-public institution of higher learning having, as of Fall, 2009, 5,943 undergraduates enrolled on its Saint Paul Campus.

As Minnesota's largest non-public institution of higher learning, UST presently provides on-campus housing for 44% of its undergraduate students: accordingly, the remaining 56% - approximately 3,325 students - reside off-campus. It is further estimated that 50% - approximately 1684 students - reside in "off-campus" housing in that general area surrounding the UST campus bounded by St. Clair Avenue on the south, and Fairview Avenue on the east. The Mississippi River is the western border south of Marshall Avenue, and Cretin Avenue is the western border north of Marshall Avenue. Interstate Highway 94 is the northern border east of Cretin Avenue, and Marshall is the northern border west of Cretin Avenue; and

The City's zoning ordinance, duly adopted pursuant to the City's delegated police powers under the Municipal Planning Act, contains various land-use district classifications including several classifications for residential-use districts established upon the Council's legislative determinations that zoning use classifications promote "public health, we...

Click here for full text
Date NameDistrictOpinionCommentAction
No records to display.