emailing someone because he sent me one asking if it would work. The system is
working great, it just isn’t catching it. It is an older system, I’m not sure what it was
supposed to look like. Wong’s kitchen is supposed to pay for the maintenance. They
do get it fixed and pay for maintenance; they are running late. I’ve talked to her 3 times
about it. That’s not your fault, but they did have it cleaned right after the Certificate of
Occupancy inspection cycle started. I sent that receipt to the inspector. It clearly
hasn’t been cleaned since. I want it fixed so it captures it. I told her she can’t damage
my $100,000 roof with her grease.
Moermond: I’m thinking that the roof is something that will likely be tackled this
season under insurance because of hail damage, but in the meantime we have a hood
and vent system that needs cleaning. It should have been done May of 2022 and it is
causing a problem and mess because it hasn’t been serviced in a timely fashion. The
orders say to get it done by September 1. I will recommend Council keep that deadline
related to the cleaning of the system from the July 27 order.
Younghans: I agree.
Moermond: moving on to the brick situation. You have a couple things going on, talk
to me about what has transpired the last six months.
Younghans: it has been a long process and I appreciate your patience. Initially I
thought it was safe enough so we’d be able to talk about it more since a ledge was put
in. I understand the risk now. And engineer was on the call with us before and I haven’t
been able to reach him since. I have bids from $10,000 to $91,000. I applied for the
STAR Grant. I was asking for funds to help with the roof before the store happened, it
is older. I wanted money towards brick work and the driveway. Yesterday a lady
yesterday a lady pulled in and her car started on fire and it melted a portion of the
driveway. I did my interview with them a while back, I called and asked for an update.
They make decisions Mid-July, then they go to the City Council for approval. That
decision isn’t until the end of August. I didn’t realize it took that long. Any work that
starts before that approval can’t be used with those funds. I’m stuck between a rock
and a hard place. I asked them for $30 and I was matching $30k. That’s part of the
delay. I’m trying to be smart. I don’t know if there is $60,000 worth of work. I’m leaning
towards the $10,000 bid. I’ve used him before. If I don’t get approval from the STAR
grant I do have the funds to pay him but I don’t know if he can get it done this season
once I hear back on the grant.
Moermond: we talked about this last fall. We talked about an engineer looking at it
and being able to tell the City if any mitigation or safety measures need to be taken
between now and when the repairs can occur. Thinking specifically like if there is a
need for the right-of-way to be protected. Or some set up around the gas meter. I’m
looking to an engineer to say that does or doesn’t need to happen and if it does we can
do an extension based on those safety measures being taken. If none need to
happen, at least we have that clear. With the City being aware this has been a problem
I’m concerned about letting it continue .If even one brick falls it is going to rain City
staff and money over there to protect the right-of-way which will be a large tax
assessment on your property. It is probably more cost effective to have an engineer
address that. Then we can give you that extension to realistically address the STAR
funding timeline and the construction season.
Younghans: is there any companies you would refer? I called many last time, that last
guy never responded. He never followed up or answered calls. I can start right away,
just my experience last time didn’t go very well.
Moermond: I’m thinking that these people are licensed as engineers and at the very
least you could look for licensed engineers in St. Paul. Ms. Shaff, any insight? Noting