appeal where it was removed as a Vacant Building and uncertified the property to give
the new property owners the opportunity to repair it. You gave to November 1 for
compliance. Inspector Caballero found the building gutted with lots of open permits.
We referred it to the Vacant Building program since it meets the definition of a Vacant
Building and the deadline given by Council was not met.
Moermond: it was condemned, under chapter 43.
Staff report by Supervisor Matt Dornfeld: we opened a Category 2 Vacant Building on
November 3, 2023 per that referral. The house was found vacant and secure at time of
inspection. Rehab appears to be ongoing.
Moermond: can you tell me where things are at? We have three permits out there,
rough in inspections, one more permit forthcoming. What is going on?
Trott-Binns: I was talking to the Fire Inspector and wasn’t aware I needed to be
communicating with you as well. Upon realizing that it was too late. We purchased it in
July, we did get the November 1 and thought it was realistic at the time. After closing
and getting into it and the correction orders on it, the length of time and putzing with
trying to just repair what was there, we just decided to gut the entire dwelling after we
cleared it out. Pulled for permits for electric, plumbing, roofing, siding we’ve redone.
We had to wait for Xcel to install a new meter. That just got done in October. We’ve
had the framing inspection, electrical inspection, plumbing inspection. We have
started with insulation and looking to call for inspection by end of week to start
drywalling next week. Regarding the correction notice, with us going down to the studs,
those have been corrected since they’ve been removed. The state of the orders are not
the current state of the dwelling. How do we move it from a Category 2 and being
vacant to the state in which it is now?
Moermond: I’m not working against you on this. When I look at this and evaluate the
situation I see it was condemned. A ton has happened. There are permits out there.
The value of the permits is $101,000. A fourth permit still needs to be pulled according
to the notes from Department of Safety & Inspections. The difference between a
Category 1 and Category 2 is whether a Code Compliance Inspection would be
required. You have such substantial permits that you’ll be doing approximately the
same as what the Code Compliance would require anyway and it wouldn’t benefit from
that additional inspection. I’m thinking the wise move for everyone is to make this a
Category 1 Vacant Building. That leaves me with the question of the Vacant Building
fee. The earlier question about timeline and scope, what does that look like in terms of
getting ready to do the work? So, I can think about this in terms of closing permits.
Trott-Binns: could I have had them come out and had them see that all of the items
have been taken care of even though it is not sheetrocked? We put in new plumbing,
bathrooms, kitchen. The flooring we took out. I’m just wondering, it isn’t a Category 1.
We have it to a remodeled building.
Moermond: you’re getting a break by having it be a Category 1. As a condemned
structure that isn’t currently occupied you are, by definition, a Vacant Building. You
were given to November 1 to not have it be that way. It isn’t a judgment about whether
in general the finish line is crossed. The Finish line is having it signed off as ready to
occupy. If you want to present to Council that it shouldn’t be a Category 1 you are
welcome to do so. I asked about your timeline so I could see if a fee waiver is
appropriate so I could help you not have a Vacant Building fee if you can finish sooner
versus later. I’ll ask that one last time.
Trott-Binns: we should be by January.