15 West Kellogg Blvd.  
Saint Paul, MN 55102  
City of Saint Paul  
Minutes - Final  
Legislative Hearings  
Marcia Moermond, Legislative Hearing Officer  
Mai Vang, Hearing Coordinator  
Joanna Zimny, Executive Assistant  
Tuesday, June 13, 2023  
9:00 AM  
Room 330 City Hall & Court House/Remote  
9:00 a.m. Hearings  
Remove/Repair Orders  
RLH RR 23-7  
Ordering the rehabilitation or razing and removal of the structures at 901  
FULLER AVENUE within fifteen (15) days after the March 22, 2023, City  
Council Public Hearing. (To refer back to April 11, 2023 Legislative  
Layover to LH July 11, 2023 at 9 am for update on foreclosure filing. CCI must be  
applied for and $5,000 PD posted by no later than COB July 10, 2023.  
Jessica Zeletes, attorney o/b/o Towd Point Mortgage, appeared  
[Moermond gives background of appeals process]  
Moermond: I first saw this in February, it first went to the City Council in March. I’ve  
had zero traction on this. No Performance Deposit and no Code Compliance  
Inspection Report. Those are the two markers I look for to continue talking about this.  
I am reaching the end of the line of this, the only reason I’ve continued this is because  
it is a large home and may have some historical damage. The fire damage happened a  
couple of years ago. If I had a better sense of what it was like inside we could all figure  
out whether this is a salvageable situation to help inform the person writing the checks  
but also the people reflecting on the public’s role. That’s what we’re left with. It took us  
chasing down and me personally calling to find the attorney representing this property. I  
never do. That’s not ok. Here you are, local?  
Zeletes: yes.  
Moermond: great. I don’t know how much background you have on this situation.  
Zeletes: I have all the documents and have reviewed the file.  
Moermond: when I last talked about this with Mr. Greenfield we had discussed ways to  
pursue foreclosure, motions to the court, in order that an inspection of the interior  
could be conducted. It was not acceptable to say that you are not yet holder of the title  
and can’t access the interior at all. This is in danger of being removed, standard  
mortgage contractors provide access when conditions are at this level. I need that  
inspection report and is the owner acting in good faith if they haven’t even posted the  
Performance Deposit when representing significant financial institutions. We received  
notification from Select Portfolio who said they weren’t involved, and it was our  
understanding that was who Greenfield was representing. What? I’m left with all of  
these questions. I’m looking to you to tell me about who you represent, their plan, what  
are you bringing to the table in terms of giving a reason to ask for more time from  
Council. I don’t have any reason to ask for more now.  
Zeletes: I have reviewed the emails between Mr. Greenfield and Joanna Zimny where  
he was trying to get the $5,000 but their concern is that since it is foreclosure they  
post the $5,000 and the third party comes in and when does that $5,000 come back to  
my client.  
Moermond: who is your client?  
Zeletes: Towd Point Mortgage  
Moermond: I know Joanna saying this didn’t seem to be heard, I did review those  
emails, the $5,000 Performance Deposit is necessary for anyone to pull a permit to do  
work on the property. If your client isn’t ultimately doing the work the practice is the  
party doing the work would post the Performance Deposit. We wouldn’t accept that  
ABC contracting hired by your purchaser who acquires title after work is done that your  
Performance Deposit would work for them doing the work. The ones doing the work  
need to have skin in the game.  
Zeletes: their own? That’s the sticking point and where the miscommunication  
Moermond: : and the marker is having the nuisance abated. If the Council doesn’t give  
the client time, written request may be made to DSI asking for that money to be  
returned. There will be no effort to get the nuisance abated, you can get the money  
back by written request.  
Zeletes: I understand your frustration.  
Moermond: we need that evidence to perform. I would think the value of the mortgage  
to be lost would more than offset the risk of losing $5,000. Even if you are going to  
lose it is the time worth $5,000?  
Zeletes: we aren’t worrying about the City pocketing the $5,000. Its relying on the third  
party to do it.  
Moermond: does Towd want to enter into an agreement to do the rehab and have a  
third party to do it?  
Zeletes: they have look at bids and some of those weren’t acceptable. That’s why they  
were looking at foreclosure.  
Moermond: where are we at with that?  
Zeletes: I don’t know  
Moermond: I need that. I keep asking before every hearing, can you check the  
records, has been foreclosure been filed? The answer is no every time. You are brand  
new and I want you to know what a bucket you picked up.  
Zeletes: I’m local, I’m not in Florida. I don’t want any misrepresentation going on. There  
is movement behind the scenes, but it is slow. I can try and move things along.  
Moermond: so, contractors have been inside?  
Zeletes: I believe bids just based on the exterior. That’s probably where the  
disconnect is too.  
Moermond: especially when there has been a fire.  
Zeletes: you need the inspection regardless of the deposit?  
Moermond: I need both. I would be asking a little old lady with no money. Everyone  
has the same conditions.  
Zeletes: got it. I think that wasn’t clear--  
Moermond: I told them so many times it isn’t even funny. If they misunderstood it was  
willful misunderstanding. The same way I was told it was in foreclosure. No. That  
Performance Deposit has to be written. That is showing me the good faith right out of  
the gate. Get it ordered and conducted. That means a lock box on the door so the  
trades inspectors can go in. Any contractor worth their salt without holding that report  
in their hand and knowing the minimum expectations.  
Zeletes: I will relay that urgency.  
Moermond: it is about $500. Two deceased owners, have steps been taken 3 months  
ago? 6 moths? 12 months? To start finding family to notify of a foreclosure. $540, so  
the ask from the bank would be $5,540. I would expect they want those people located  
and involved; I imagine part of this is that the mortgage is high. It may exceed the  
value of the property even before the fire.  
Zeletes: I think there’s probate going on.  
Moermond: I doubt that, but I really hope so. We had a guy in hearings who had talked  
to a Joe Ray, but he has never showed up. He has four siblings. The fire report shows  
who was living there at the time, I want to say it was a granddaughter. When we get  
those things we can get some bids. Towd doesn’t know what they want to do?  
Zeletes: and I will put the pressure on.  
Moermond: what do they need to do to get the foreclosure going?  
Zeletes: it seems it was more the deposit issue and then figuring out how much was  
owed on the mortgage, how much it would cost. I think we can get some movement on  
this especially with the inspection and deposit.  
Moermond: that foreclosure needs action. If I hear its longer than six months for you to  
get title, that is crazy. I’ve been sitting here for 3 months in a fire damaged structure  
from 2021. No more misstatements about where we are at in foreclosure.  
Zeletes: absolutely.  
Moermond: and you are here and local, but I have to be clear on the value of this  
Zeletes: I’m ready to turn this ship around.  
Moermond: Mr. Yannarelly, any nuisances?  
Yannarelly: no.  
Moermond: is it safeguard who is stopping by?  
Zeletes: I don’t know.  
Moermond: I need to send this to Council and I’d like to give you some time to work on  
things. I think it would be reasonable to expect by June 27 the Performance Deposit  
and the Code Compliance Inspection report applied for. If that doesn’t work we will  
need to chat about that.  
Zeletes: can we push this to July 11?  
Moermond: I’d like to put it to hearing July 27 for us to have us further conversation.  
That being done would be the good faith point.  
Zeletes: I cannot be there June 28th. I also need time to catch up, I’m a full-time  
attorney and will be in hearings and court.  
Moermond: we have a number of tricky spots on our calendar as well. No hearings July  
4, which throws off our calendar. Council doesn’t meet July 5, so July 12 is their next  
case. If you can get the Performance Deposit and Code Compliance Inspection  
applied for, including the lock box on the door, So we can send that to July 12 and talk  
July 18.  
Zeletes: that works. So, Performance Deposit and Code Compliance Inspection by  
July 12?  
Moermond: yes, and a thorough report on what steps have been taken on the  
foreclosure action at that time. How to get that mortgage holder into title. The size of  
the mortgage is the tipping point on this. You’re in a loss mitigation game.  
Zeletes: I totally understand the Council’s frustrations. I’m going to turn the ship  
Referred to the City Council due back on 7/12/2023  
Ordering the rehabilitation or razing and removal of the structures at 1082  
LOEB STREET within fifteen (15) days after the March 22, 2023, City  
Council Public Hearing. (Refer to June 13, 2023 Legislative Hearing)  
Layover to LH July 25, 2023 at 9 am. Purchaser to submit work plan including  
schedule and bids, financing, and affidavit.  
Heidi Hovis, attorney o/b/o MN Department of Housing, appeared  
Edwardo Rikprashad, purchaser, appeared  
Moermond: any update from DSI on this?  
Joe Yannarelly: No, it has been quiet at the property.  
Moermond: last time we spoke you had a purchaser. Are you Mr. Edwardo Rikprashad,  
Intact properties?  
Rikprashad: yes.  
Hovis: we’re in a good place. We have a copy of the purchase agreement with the  
addendums, and the Performance Deposit and the financial statement to complete this  
work. He’s going to rehab, not demo.  
Moermond: what is the closing date?  
Hovis: June 30th, if not sooner. WE wanted to come here first.  
Moermond: this is sounding good. And for the benefit of the audience this property can  
transfer as a partner of the City under chapter 33.  
Rikprashad: I own a construction company and Intact Property is a separate business  
I buy houses under. I don’t like the term flipper. I’m not in that business. I do these  
houses well. I’ve done 5 or 6 in Minneapolis. I bought two in December, and they’re  
back on the market. This property will be done in under six months. We’ll redo the  
roof, plumbing, saving some things, repairing the rest.  
Moermond: you are a General Contractor?  
Rikprashad: for commercial, not residential.  
Moermond: do you have bids from your subs yet on the trades work?  
Rikprashad: yes. I have the form I do with my experience from other properties, that’s  
where I pulled the numbers.  
Moermond: a pro forma we are happy to put on the record. That tells me how you make  
this cash flow, but for my purposes your decision to acquire is a private decision and  
up to you. For my purposes I look for assurance that whoever is on your side of the  
table can execute the rehab. I need a sworn construction statement, work plan, scope  
of work, that shows how we get from where we are now to getting it complete. The  
issuance of the Code Compliance certificate. That should include subcontractor’s  
bids. The only exception would be a general with in house subs. We know when they  
will do the work, approximately, and the financing that you have the wherewithal to pay  
for those contractors. I would hate to see we get into this and the money goes away  
and we have a half-fixed house and no ability to move forward. And then you heard  
about the $5,000 Performance Deposit which is refundable.  
Hovis: the paperwork is completed; it is my understanding it will happen today.  
Rikprashad: are you suggesting I have to have a general?  
Moermond: with respect to pulling building permits, I hate to say that just about anyone  
can, the exception would be things that require engineering. In your situation as I  
understand it we have some significant retaining wall and I don’t know whether you will  
need an engineer or landscape architect to deal with that. That isn’t my call, that is part  
of permit review. Mr. Yannarelly?  
Yannarelly: I think you captured it. He has seen the side and knows the difficulties of  
the landscape. That’s the one hurdle of easy development.  
Moermond: you can apply for the building permit.  
Hovis: and the scope of work is something he can put those timelines based on his  
Moermond: yes, and when someone is doing that work on their own it is sometimes  
helpful to calculate the value of that work and the cost of your own labor and what you  
bring to that, as well as value of the supplies. That would be a part of the total cost of  
doing the work. The City estimated the cost exceeding $65,000. It seems low to me  
with the retaining wall situation.  
Rikprashad: my number is $82,000 as of now. I think the retaining wall is repairable.  
There are some holes and masonry block and needs a facelift.  
Hovis: would you like to see the purchase agreement?  
Moermond: yes. It sounds like you have bids from people you’ll be working with?  
Rikprashad: bids for plumbing, electrical, $15,000 for the kitchen Home Depot coming  
in. I’m doing one for a different property now.  
Moermond: we need those numbers before I make a recommendation before the City  
Council votes. Absolutely you can close, but you won’t get your 180 days until after we  
have on record your plan and bids. Just so you know that is the order of events.  
Rikprashad: once I get access I can pull that together, no problem.  
Moermond: you are hiring the kitchen rehab to Home Depot; they will need to pull the  
permits for that work. There is also permitting work for other parts that Home Depot  
wouldn’t pull, someone else would.  
Rikprashad: right, plumber, electrical, HVAC.  
Moermond: so balance you’ll have with other contractors. In the normal course of  
events, a rehabber would hire one plumbing contractor, one HVAC contractor, so one  
permit for each of the four trades. You are probably going to have two permits in these  
areas for different spaces. I would say you want to have a conversation with Clint Zane  
head of time. He is the building inspector who is in charge of dealing with registered  
Vacant Building in this category. He can help you navigate how to pull those permits.  
When the permit desk gets that application they will look at the Code Compliance and  
expect you to do be doing all the electrical. Make a plan with him on tackling that so it  
goes more smoothly. Will you be good to have a conversation after closing on July 18?  
Rikprashad: yes.  
Moermond: we’ll have a hearing that day. If you get me that information beforehand, if I  
can review and say it is complete and we have what we need you are greenlighted to  
pull permits even before the Council votes. If we still have some dangling pieces,  
which isn’t a problem, we can deal with that July 18th and figure out how to address  
that. So, you can start sooner but we have to clear it.  
Laid Over to the Legislative Hearings due back on 7/25/2023  
RLH RR 20-22  
Ordering the rehabilitation or razing and removal of the structures at 678  
SNELLING AVENUE NORTH within fifteen (15) days after the May 27,  
2020 City Council public hearing. (To refer to March 28, 2023 Legislative  
Recommendation forthcoming pending review of scope of work.  
Lisa Kugler, consultant, appeared via phone  
Voicemail for Gelgelu at 10:18 am: this is Marcia Moermond from St. Paul City Council  
calling you and Lisa Kugler about 678 Snelling. I’m hoping we can get ahold of you; we  
weren’t able to even get into Lisa’s voicemail. We’ll try back again in 20 minutes or so  
to connect with you.  
Kugler: Gene is on vacation and out of the country.  
Moermond: sounds good. Hopefully we can start wrapping up the paperwork on this  
one. I know Joanna sent you a letter May 26 about what we were looking for. We don’t  
have anything new, where are you at with that? Bids and a schedule and proof of  
financing which I know isn’t money in an account.  
Kugler: I sent all that. Give me a moment. Hmm….let’s see. I remember writing it.  
Moermond: we did get a one pager May 18th, the week before the letter.  
Kugler: no, this was on Thursday. Anyway, I did it all. We have no bid, we have an  
estimate from the General Contractor. We couldn’t bid the subs until we were positive  
we had all the funds and revising the design because of the B3. I sent the estimate  
without the detail. We don’t want to give subcontractor the number to meet and the  
funding commitment and timeline. I can’t believe I didn’t send it. Do you want me to  
send it right now?  
Moermond: yes, we’ve checked our emails and don’t see anything.  
Kugler: I will send it to Joanna now. I’m so sorry.  
Moermond: your contractor, Cushing Terrell went to DSI and applied for a 4.4 million  
dollar building permit. Our office had to advise to not accept it since there isn’t  
approval by the Council on the grant of time. Your folks are on hold pending this, just  
so you are aware. That has to sit until we get this squared away.  
Kugler: decision by you or the Council?  
Moermond: if DSI and I are in agreement the materials are good to go it would be  
greenlighted. If for any reason there is something left to deal with the Council won’t  
jump and knock it down, we want to see you start. Because of the scope of the project  
I don’t want to review this on the fly. We’ll try and get that done today and let you know  
if there are any follow-up questions.  
Kugler: ok. The plans are the ones submitting to DSI. I didn’t submit them with this, I  
didn’t think I needed to.  
Moermond: you don’t need to; it needs to go to Council. DSI wont issue permits on a  
building that may be demolished. This will be an exceptional project moving forward. It  
will take longer because of the scope. We just need to flesh out the details.  
Kugler: the review can’t start until Council meets?  
Moermond: they won’t accept until Joe Yannarelly and I review and decide the materials  
submitted are good and the recommendation to the Council will be to grant the time. It  
is our hope that we could do it that quickly. Other questions?  
Kugler: no, I didn’t understand. The architects were surprised.  
Moermond: of course, we are still trying to put to bed the situation that the investors  
from New York created at this property. We’ve received your information now and the  
information will hopefully be reviewed today.  
Kugler: if you would not publish the letters from the foundations, because people will  
call the people at the foundations.  
Moermond: what do you mean?  
Kugler: we have letters from the Foundations with grants, signed by someone at the  
foundation, if I were looking for money I would try to get ahold of people. They are not  
public servants who take unsolicited inquiries. If you could avoid publishing those  
foundation letters, there are 4 or 5. There is a list with the dollar amounts.  
Moermond: I see that. I’ll be straight with you on this, I’m not sure I can grant that  
request. We’re in a position of needing to document the money is there and the  
foundations are a part of that demonstration. I understand where you are coming from  
but at the same time it is evidence of financing for the project. Have you checked with  
them about their concerns?  
Kugler: no. They’re just always so busy, one doesn’t wish to bother them.  
Moermond: the fact they are providing money, in the amount they are, have been in the  
reports and is of record already. I’ll talk to the City attorney’s office about this and let  
you know.  
Kugler: sounds good. My apologies for not sending those in.  
Referred to the City Council due back on 7/12/2023  
RLH RR 23-28  
Ordering the rehabilitation or razing and removal of the structures at 1043  
BEECH STREET within fifteen (15) days after the July 19, 2023, City  
Council Public Hearing.  
Grant 180 days pending submission of detailed schedule, completion of the CCIR and  
taxes brought current.  
Joe Steinmaus, purchaser, appeared  
Staff report by Supervisor Joe Yannarelly: the building is a one-story, wood frame,  
single-family dwelling with a detached two-stall garage on a lot of 4,918 square feet.  
The property was referred to vacant buildings by code enforcement due to no water  
usage in over six months. The current property owner is Diane E. Martin (deceased),  
per AMANDA and Ramsey County Property records.  
On March 16, 2023, an inspection of the building was conducted, a list of deficiencies  
which constitute a nuisance condition was developed and photographs were taken. An  
order to abate a nuisance building was posted on March 22, 2023, with a compliance  
date of April 21, 2023. As of this date, the property remains in a condition which  
comprises a nuisance as defined by the legislative code. Taxation has placed an  
estimated market value of $12,900 on the land and $184,000 on the building.  
Real estate taxes for 2019 through 2022 are delinquent in the amount of $24,330.77.  
Taxes for the first half of 2023 have not been paid ($5,165.68 is owing). Property is  
scheduled for tax forfeiture July 31, 2023. The vacant building registration fees were  
paid by assessment on August 1, 2022. A Code Compliance Inspection was ordered  
on May 17, 2023 but has not yet been completed. The $5,000 performance deposit  
was posted on May 17, 2023. There have been thirteen Summary Abatement Orders  
since 2021. There have been fourteen work orders issued for: Garbage/rubbish,  
Boarding/securing, Tall grass/weeds and snow/ice. Code Enforcement Officers  
estimate the cost to repair this structure exceeds $100,000. The estimated cost to  
demolish exceeds $25,000.  
Moermond: sounds like you are ready to go, title-wise we have a deceased owner and a  
couple liens. You have the mortgage dealt with the liens? I have a satisfaction of  
mortgage and deed of sale.  
Steinmaus: we are waiting on the Code Compliance inspection and then they’ll take the  
$5,000 on the medical lien. I’m going down there tomorrow to post a few thousand to  
get it out of forfeiture.  
Moermond: so, you’ll have a work plan in no time at all.  
Steinmaus: yes, and we’re ready to start. They want to see the Code Compliance  
Moermond: this doesn’t go to Council until the 19th? Did you want to begin before  
Steinmaus: yes.  
Moermond: if we can get the rest of these things in, we have financing, affidavit. We  
need taxes up to date, Code Compliance in hand, and the timeline fleshed out more  
than start and end date. Once we get those we’ll consult and I can greenlight permits.  
Referred to the City Council due back on 7/19/2023  
Ordering the rehabilitation or razing and removal of the structures at 1862  
IVY AVENUE EAST within fifteen (15) days after the July 19, 2023, City  
Council Public Hearing.  
Layover to LH July 11, 2023 for review of detailed schedule based on completed CCIR  
(CPH July 19).  
Joe Steinmaus, purchaser, appeared  
Staff report by Supervisor Joe Yannarelly: the building is a one-story, wood frame,  
single-family dwelling with a detached one-stall garage on a lot of 6,325 square feet. A  
Legislative Hearing was held on November 4, 2020 for an appeal by the owner of  
securing the property by the St. Paul Police Department. Owner said house had been  
vacant over a year. It was secured by other than normal means and had multiple  
deficiencies visible from the exterior; inspector opened a preliminary vacant building  
folder on November 5, 2020. On September 23, 2021, the property was found to still  
be secured by other than normal means and inspector changed the status to a  
Category Two vacant building. The current property owner is Elaine M. Vallant, per  
AMANDA and Ramsey County Property records.  
On March 29, 2023, an inspection of the building was conducted, a list of deficiencies  
which constitute a nuisance condition was developed and photographs were taken. An  
order to abate a nuisance building was posted on April 12, 2023, with a compliance  
date of May 12, 2023. As of this date, the property remains in a condition which  
comprises a nuisance as defined by the legislative code.  
Taxation has placed an estimated market value of $25,000 on the land and $136,800  
on the building. Real estate taxes are current. The vacant building registration fees  
were paid by assessment on October 3, 2022. A Code Compliance Inspection was  
ordered on June 5, 2023 but has not yet been completed. The $5,000 performance  
deposit was posted on June 5, 2023. There have been eleven summary abatement  
notices since 2021. There have been sixteen work orders issued for: Garbage/rubbish,  
Boarding/securing, Tall grass/weeds and Snow/ice. Code Enforcement Officers  
estimate the cost to repair this structure exceeds $75,000. The estimated cost to  
demolish exceeds $25,000.  
Moermond: Mr. Yannarelly, this appears to have had chronic break ins and lots of  
police orders to secure after visiting. So, a significant neighborhood problem up until  
this point.  
Yannarelly: correct.  
Moermond: Mr. Steinmaus you have bought this?  
Steinmaus: the purchase agreement indicating we can’t transfer title.  
Moermond: and we have everything except the work plan with dates and the Code  
Compliance Inspection report being done. This goes to Council Public Hearing July  
19th, let’s put it on our calendar July 18th and put it to bed. Sounds like it may be a bit  
longer to pull those together.  
Laid Over to the Legislative Hearings due back on 7/11/2023  
10:00 a.m. Hearings  
Making Finding on Nuisance Abatements  
RLH RR 23-30  
Making finding on the appealed substantial abatement ordered for 1011  
BURNS AVENUE in Council File RLH RR 22-63.  
The nuisance is abated and the matter resolved.  
Joe Stainmaus, owner, appeared  
Moermond: noting the nuisance is abated and matter resolved.  
Referred to the City Council due back on 6/28/2023  
Making finding on the appealed substantial abatement ordered for 587  
COOK AVENUE EAST in Council File RLH RR 22-52.  
Layover to June 27th, 2023 at 10 am (need % complete).  
Moermond: this was rescheduled to June 27th because Mr. Zane didn’t schedule the  
inspection until after this hearing.  
Laid Over to the Legislative Hearings due back on 6/27/2023  
Fourth Making finding on the appealed substantial abatement ordered for  
318 EDMUND AVENUE in Council File RLH RR 21-11. (Public hearing  
closed and laid over from April 26, 2023)  
Recommendation forthcoming (pending finaled permits and issuance of CC certificate).  
Aychoeun Tea, mother of owner, appeared  
Moermond: we were checking on status of the trades permits. We talked about the  
status last time and need to finish them. We checked yesterday and what we know  
what now from the computer is that for the electrical permit, there was a rough-in  
inspection on June 2 and corrections were required. Warm Air the last inspection was  
in November 2022. That is more than six months ago, so that is a concern. The  
mechanical and gas permit for air you had someone out May 23, and then today. That’s  
Tea: electric?  
Moermond: that was the first one I mentioned, he had corrections on June 2.  
Tea: he came on June 9th and everything passed but now he sees my counter is  
longer and wants two more lines. He comes and inspects again this Friday, between 10  
and 11.  
Moermond: Friday June 16th he will reinspect?  
Tea: yes.  
Moermond: building I know Clint was out there and looked at things. Were you with  
Tea: I was with. He said it looked good, 75%, and I asked for corrections, he said no  
just finish. Then he will come back to inspect. Just check the window screens.  
Moermond: what is going on with your warm air permit?  
Tea: I called the heating guy and he said he had to talk to the contractor but they said  
they would come inspect today. I think there was a small correction.  
Moermond: Richard MacCalester will be out there to meet the inspector?  
Tea: yes, today.  
Moermond: you think the electrical will be done Friday?  
Tea: yes, it is done.  
Moermond: you think you’ll get your final Friday?  
Tea: yes, it was two lines.  
Moermond: and Mr. Zane didn’t have any corrections, just was waiting on the trades.  
Tea: yes, no corrections by him.  
Moermond: June 21 this goes to Council again. If things go according to plan and the  
trades sign off on permits at the inspections this week. It seems like you’ll be done  
but you’ll need Clint Zane to sign off quickly. We can send an email to Clint that when  
he comes back, he could look at it Monday or Tuesday next week and hopefully issue  
that Code Compliance certificate. We’ll remind him of your Council Public Hearing.  
You have $5,000 riding on this being done. We’ll emphasize that with Mr. Zane and  
need that Code Compliance certificate. It sounds like things are getting done and it  
feels good sitting here. If for any reason you don’t have the Code Compliance  
certificate, some to the Council Public Hearing next week.  
Referred to the City Council due back on 6/21/2023  
Making finding on the appealed substantial abatement ordered for 733  
FAIRVIEW AVENUE NORTH in Council File RLH RR 22-28. (To refer to  
April 25, 2023 Legislative Hearing)  
Layover to LH July 11, 2023 at 10 am for further discussion after Building Official  
review of file.  
Stamate Skliris, owner, appeared  
Herb Smith, contractor, appeared  
Skliris: what was the purpose of this hearing?  
Moermond: we didn’t have a percentage completion and significant disagreement about  
permits and what was done. Being past the 50% mark is what makes this $5,000. You  
all met on site and talked this through?  
Skliris: I didn’t really have a choice. I was told to be there. I was also told that  
contractors would be there, they are not.  
Moermond: I don’t know why the City would call your contractors, those are your  
employees, if you will.  
Staff update by Supervisor Joe Yannarelly: the individual City inspectors, Chris  
Whiskur found ducts were installed without and covered up without permit or  
inspection. Must either open up walls that now have drywall on them so inspections  
may be done or will need to have ductwork aerosealed from the inside. If aeroseal  
method is used the ducts will need to be professionally cleaned beforehand. Will also  
need to pull some parts  
to show the inspector that the dryer vents and bath fans have been properly insulated.  
The furnace boot that was installed is undersized and will need to be replaced which  
will result in a gas manifold to be  
replaced as well due to is proximity. There are UV lights in the furnace that will need to  
be removed or moved to a location proper distance from the components that are  
negatively affected by UV rays. Other miscellaneous items may require inspection and  
or correction, however, these were the main items that were discussed due to them  
being covered up.  
Electrical inspector Dave Blank says there were some underground wiring that will need  
to be exposed to  
verify proper depth and conduit. Other miscellaneous items may  
require inspection and or correction, however, these were the main  
items that were discussed due to them being covered up.  
Mechanical inspector Laurent Wickland says there were no items cited per our records  
that would require us to open up walls to inspect. It is notable that various work has  
been done by the owner and his contractors over the years and we cannot be sure that  
additional gas lines were or were not installed. We will not require the walls to be  
opened, however, if gas lines were installed under the radar and were not positioned at  
the proper depth inside the wall cavity, this could be a lethal hazard. The owner has  
assured us that no additional gas lines have been installed after they were inspected  
by Chris Christie (Previous mechanical inspector). Other miscellaneous items may  
require inspection and or correction, however, these were the main items  
that were discussed due to them being covered up.  
Plumbing inspector Jim Kaufer noted the walls/ceilings will need to be opened up to  
inspect the water  
heater venting and to properly install the shower stalls. Jim contacted the plumbing  
contractor who claimed he had not been to the site since rough-in inspections were  
done. The installations of the showers were done without permit.  
The owner continues to claim this will be his primary residence. Numbered bedroom  
doors, labeled light switches/outlets, exit signs, programmable locks that prohibit entry  
into bedrooms without a code all lend themself to this being used as a bed and  
breakfast lodging house. Multiple workers hired by the owner have also stated that this  
is the intended use, specifically a Greek themed lodging house. This would require the  
owner to have licensed electricians and plumbers doing associated trade work.  
Moermond: the only permit that affects is the electrical permit, as the building permit  
was pulled by Rottworks. It is possible for an owner occupant to pull an electrical  
permit. That would be the main question. Any other codes that come into play, which  
I’m not hearing any called out, it could be this needs to be a licensed endeavor.  
Skliris: so we don’t get lost in the weeds, certain comments or statements have been  
made by the building inspector and they are falling on deaf ears. Dave Blank was in  
front of me and Mr. Zane on the back patio and he made that comment and Mr. Blank  
confirmed in front of us that Amek Electric from Chaska MN, a master electrician, he  
said Stamate hired them, professional electricians, and they installed a 300 AMP  
breaker and fished all the wires and did the work and Stamate is just putting on the  
camp. That was verified by Dave Blank.  
Moermond: how do you spell Amek?  
Skliris: Aaron Schmidt, Amek Electric.  
Moermond: and I don’t know if the name on the electrical permit can be switched from  
you to them. As far as you doing that minor amount of electrical work, I’m not sure  
capping even needs to be permitted. That is one way to at least put that to rest. I’m  
trusting you and trusting this.  
Skliris: you are welcome to talk to Dave Bank.  
Moermond: this is confirmable, I’m taking you at face value.  
Skliris: when Dave came downstairs previously, he is a gentleman I wish everyone was  
like him, he asked in the past--which is in the compliance report-- to add extension  
boxes. Those were added. Now he came back and there are receptacles about 8 for  
each room, they are costly, like $37. He wants them changed to GFCI. So that’s  
another $2,000. I can’t return those and have to buy new ones. This is beyond just  
putting on the caps, it is swapping the receptacle. This was not noted previously.  
That’s the theme. The bar keeps changing. I satisfy things and then there is a new  
sheet with brand new requirements. That is the underlying theme I am trying to convey.  
It is conspicuous. It is obvious. Mr. Zane said he’s “here to help me land the plane.”  
My colleagues, a US attorney, who has been watching this with many different people,  
said he thinks he’s trying to crash my plane.  
I remember meeting you in 2016 when I had to come from North Dakota. The home,  
according to Herb who is a licensed contractor for years, was 99% done. Now new  
things are asked for me to do. For 5 years the basement was open, inspectors came.  
They passed the venting. They passed various things. Now suddenly mysteriously--  
and I have tags saying I’m good to sheetrock, so I do that. Now suddenly they’re  
saying I have to open it because you don’t have any records of it.  
It should be noted that since I started this project we’ve had Reid Soley, Nathan Bruhn,  
Christie Dick, Jim Seeger, Robert Humphrey, Clint Zane, Steve Ubl, Matt Dornfeld. A  
lot of different names. Growing up in a restaurant? Many chefs spoil the broth. A lot of  
different people and opinions. That’s why Mr. Cyrus, the plumbing contractor says you  
have a different inspector, I don’t want to get involved because he’s going to ask me to  
do new things. The big picture is, do we really want Stamate to land this plane? I’ve put  
about $300,000 into this house. Since I graduated law school my goal was to move  
back and be close to my church and friends. When Herb was there on my behalf and  
gave a tour to Mr. Zane, Mr. Smith made a passing comment about he would make it  
an AirBNB if it was him. Now it is all twisted. And I’ve repeated it and repeated it and  
said Mr. Zane, that is my bedroom. That is Fairview. I can go straight to the airport on  
this road. He insists. Who would put a chapel in their home? An orthodox chapel? Who  
would put a generator for an AirBNB client? Who would live there and want to rent a  
place when the homeowner is living there? Who would have a gun safe with firearms in  
it in an AirBNB? He has tunnel vision. We’re not trying to land this plane. I’ve been  
coming 3 hours back and forth from Sibley County. People are covering for me.  
Because this is very arbitrary and capricious this is the 2021 report. Everything has  
been satisfied on it. The new one has new things for me to do. Because this is  
arbitrary and capricious, fortunately one of my close friends is a member of the City  
Council and has asked me to stop by.  
Moermond: this City Council?  
Skliris: yes.  
Moermond: that’s ex parte communications, you get that right?  
Skliris: it is, but something has to happen. If I go in front of the whole Council I can  
vent my---  
Moermond: absolutely you can. That is why we have public hearings, for that forum. My  
job is reviewing the information and problem solving. I’m trying to thread a needle and  
get us through this as efficiently as possible. All I can do when there are different  
opinions about where we were at is to ask for people to look at things and get more  
specific. That has happened. At this juncture my goals--  
Skliris: and what is your authority Madame Moermond? What can you do to facilitate  
us to actually help us land this plane?  
Moermond: my goal is to tell the City Council two things: what are my findings; is the  
nuisance condition abated? If it isn’t abated, what my recommendation is on how to  
proceed? There are two pieces of how to proceed. One has to do with the Performance  
Deposit and the other has to do with completing the rehab versus moving towards  
demo. I have two-thirds done. I know the job isn’t done yet. I am not getting a number,  
which I have brought back to Clint Zane. Based on what I’m seeing it is more than  
50%. That means your Performance Deposit is automatically continued and an  
additional Performance Deposit isn’t required. So that is done.  
Now we have moved into a work plan for getting to the finish line. That’s where this  
conversation comes in. What that work plan looks like is what we’re having a  
difference of opinion about in some of the items. The way I personally work on those  
things is to talk directly to the Building Official. The guy in charge of all of the building  
inspectors. Walking thorugh this, the record and documents you brought in today.  
Those should be present in that conversation and that would provide one review in the  
dispute to give me his opinion on how to proceed.  
Skliris: we’re missing the 2021 report, the 2016 report, the 2015 report, the new things  
being generated and asked of Stamate Skliris to do. Raising the bar. No light at the  
end of the tunnel based on my experience with the new building inspector. Generally,  
you satisfy things, it is conspicuous, you check off the requirements. Now it is not  
good enough. Now we’re going to make you open up your sheetrock. Now your duct  
The last time we were here there was only one inspection that was articulated. Slowly it  
trickled in through emails and there was more of a list. That’s our concern. Herb says  
“Put the onus on them! They lost the inspections. They need to find them.” Who is  
suffering from that? Me. I’m the one doing jump rope. Who pays for me to come from  
Sibley County missing court and having to get coverage because they lost inspection  
confirmation. Not only did they lose them, but they’re also asking me to open  
sheetrock and tiled bathrooms? That can’t happen. That is something the newspapers  
would love to write about. It is a shame because it can be resolved simply. The City  
needs to find Ms. Dick and found the 5 copper pieces and mechanical is good to go,  
you’re good to sheetrock. Now the language in here is very disparaging saying “he  
assures us he didn’t add any more”. Add any more what? There’s no need to add any  
more gas. But the language is very disparaging. The big elephant in the room is that  
I’ve satisfied what was asked, there are new requirements of me, and part of the  
reason is because they can’t find confirmation that this was inspected. Now Patton  
Heating and Cooling has a bill for $23,000 of which they have received $18,000.  
They’re upset because they have to pay someone to go through their warehouse and  
find receipts and permits. They have five trucks. They are very busy. This is stirring a  
hornet’s nest. As I good boy I satisfied what was asked of me and now “Stamate you  
shall open the home, we shall come in all five of us.” Now new things pop up.  
Moermond: I hear you. I see you brought documents with you. I think it is important to  
have the documents you brought of record. Let’s put together the entire package. We’ll  
scan in things you want and then I’m happy to hear all the comments. I want to make  
sure we take the time to get those things in. I think they’re important. I’m happy to do  
some comparison work. At the end of the day for my purposes this impacts what that  
work plan looks like. From where we are to getting your Code Compliance certificate  
issue and being done. This is all about work plan and what should actually be on it. Is  
that where your thinking is?  
Skliris: I am but there is one small piece that is a little bit unreasonable. Fortunately, I  
have tags of what inspectors left. I also have photos. However, I lived 20 hours round  
trip at the time, so for me to go through 76,000 Google cloud photos to supplement  
them? The onus shouldn’t be on me. It should be on the City.  
Moermond: message received. You brought it in and you are showing it. It is  
emblematic of the problem you are talking about. You’ve testified those photos exist.  
You feel the City is the enforcement agent, message received. Whatever you have to  
document your position. I have to figure out a path forward and respond to your  
concerns. I am taking them as you send them in.  
Skliris: I would like you to acknowledge there was a 2016 report. The 2021 report. The  
newest before Mr. Zane came over today. That 2021 report asked Mr. Skliris to  
complete a list and I did it. You would think, congratulations.  
Moermond: I need to look at the comments Mr. Yannarelly read into the record and  
compare to the 2021 report. That’s my due diligence.  
Skliris: and if they’re different doesn’t that send red flags?  
Moermond: that is what I would want to talk to the Building Official about.  
Skliris: and what is the solution? The redress? Besides the City Council. I’m trying to  
keep this congenial. A neutral party I feel is subjective.  
Moermond: and I’ll backtrack some and be clear with you about Matt Dornfeld, Reid  
Soley and now Robert Humphrey. Matt Dornfeld is a vacant building inspector. He  
would have been supervising Vacant Building inspectors, he may have been at your  
property, but he looks at whether the lawn is mowed, police problems. The basic  
management guy. Reid Soley and Robert--  
Yannarelly: when you’re talking about the Chief Building Official you’re talking about  
Steve Ubl. I think that’s the disconnect. He’s not catching you will bring this to Clint  
Zane’s boss.  
Moermond: that’s Clint Zane’s boss’s boss.  
Skliris: I brought up Matt Dornfeld, I understand his role, ever since he came he  
thanked me and said it was so nice. It changed from a Category 2 to a Category 3.  
Which is huge because Mr. Skliris is no longer able to renew his permits. It cuts off  
my hands. So Cyrus, the plumber, who the City of Saint Paul advertises as one of its  
five, and asked me to go down to pull the permit and pay for it. I went down to pull the  
plumbing permit and was told now my contractor have to do it. These obstacles  
complicate things.  
Moermond: organizational chart-wise. You were not dealing with the inspector’s leads.  
Say, Dave Blank’s boss. Then there is the City’s Building Official. That is a State role.  
That is Steve Ubl. His boss is the deputy director, then it is Angie Weise. If it is  
necessary to involve them, great, it doesn’t change the fact that Steve Ubl holds the  
position of Building Official. There are responsibilities incumbent upon that position  
that aren’t held by the Director or Deputy Director. He is also the appeal authority on  
any building code issue at the local level. We’re going to discuss it, your comments,  
make sure we have the record. Make sure it has been carefully reviewed. He is the  
guy. I hear you want to say no work plan, we’re done, give me the certificate. We can  
figure that out. I’m wondering if you do have a list of things you believe need to be  
completed before you cross the finish line? Setting aside these comments, your  
thinking on finishing items.  
Skliris: the biggest thing would be to put a new landing on the back door. Most of the  
receptacles are hanging out so they can have a fresh coat of paint. HVAC contractor  
has to reclean the duct work after all this dust.  
Moermond: electrical receptacles and duct work, yes.  
Skliris: the jacuzzi attachments have to be reattached after tiling. The kitchen island  
has to be connected. The vent hood, they came and the wire was too low. They are  
coming back this Friday.  
Moermond: the other thing I’ll say is that the permits are pulled. The conversation we’re  
having shouldn’t slow the progress you’re working on. I get the finish line stuff.  
Skliris: there is another bad faith piece. One of the main accomplishments for lay  
people to know is when you pass the plumbing rough in inspection, the air test and  
PVC. So you have the shower faucet and it is ready to go and you can tile around it or  
whatever you want. The tile was put on and there is a box you get at Menards—  
Moermond: why don’t we take this opportunity to bring up the photos on screen.  
[photos Mr. Skliris submitted are reviewed]  
Skliris: this is the main floor bathroom. That is real marble. There is a glass shower  
install you put together with instructions. This is the main bathroom on the main floor.  
The issue that is problematic and shocks the conscience of my colleagues is in the  
report—I’m not trying to be long-winded. I am trying to be diligent. I was able to  
converse with all of the inspectors. One was evasive and I didn’t get to speak with. I  
shook everyone’s hand, asked who they were, he was there and gone. That was the  
plumbing inspector, Jim. I asked Zane where Jim was. He said he left. I said I needed  
to talk to him, can I call him? He said “no, no, no, don’t talk to him. You can’t talk to  
him. He’s going to file the report and then you can follow-up.” I knew there was  
something wrong. I put up the shower stall and then the report it says, “rip them down,  
the plumber has to put them up.” I called Cyrus’s brother Dick, he said “Stamate it  
doesn’t make any sense. It has nothing to do with plumbing.” In fact [shows photo of  
gray bathroom] Herb and I put one in my parent’s home six years ago. This is a photo  
of the same bathroom, 49% complete. This is the same one, different view, the handle  
needs to be put on but any lay person who can put together a model airplane can put  
together a shower stall from Menards. That’s liquid nails. If I am asked to remove it  
that is $1,499 at Menards. Who is going to pay for that?  
Moermond: and you’re saying the rough in passed, I should be able to put this basic  
tile on myself. Gotcha. Let’s move on.  
Skliris: correct. This is a photo from upstairs going downstairs. The main floor living  
room is tiled. This is the basement. There’s a main floor, an upstairs and the  
basement. It is a 1901 home. That was a cellar. I took away the sand and lowered it 7  
feet. That’s the tile floor, same as my parent’s home, with the same motif. Because we  
put the Greek key in our home that we’re all going to make it a bed and breakfast.  
Even Giannis Antetokounmpo has the Greek key on his Nike shoe because he was  
born in Greece and proud of his heritage. That doesn’t mean I’m going to make it into  
a business.  
Moermond: I’m good.  
Skliris: this is the bedroom on the main floor. This is the upstairs bathroom, all  
complete. This is the upstairs bathroom again, complete. This is the upstairs living  
room with 2 bedrooms, the bathroom is to the left. When I was in North Dakota and  
someone said, “hey Stamate, where do I put this?” I said the bedroom and they’d ask  
which one? So I put numbers on, 1, 2 and 3. There aren’t any downstairs because it  
isn’t necessary. [few photos of upstairs from different angles shown] This has been  
this way for about 5 years upstairs. Dave Blank passed the inspection of the heated  
floors back then.  
This is my tankless water heater done by the plumber five years ago. The bedroom we  
saw in the basement with the caramel tile? I’m being asked to tear open that ceiling so  
they can inspect two white PVC pipes that was open for five years. The basement was  
just completed in the last year. They’ve seen it in the past already. The plumber wasn’t  
there, he conveniently left. He never asked if anyone looked at the pipes. An inspector  
did, when the rough-in was passed. They’re asking me to tear open that ceiling.  
Moermond: and that is a light fixture situation?  
Skliris: the fixture is there to have light. It is the sheetrock I am focused on. The water  
heater is in the utility room on the top right. Up above the ceiling that goes outside  
there is the exhaust, the two white pipes.  
Moermond: we are looking at a bedroom space with a dangling wire and lightbulb  
attached fixture to be installed later. It is above that room that we’re talking about  
opening the ceiling related to the tankless water heater.  
Skliris: this is the same bedroom we saw with the gray blanket. Bedroom 3, the only  
one on that floor. The gray granite is the same shower at my parent’s in Worthington  
Minnesota. It doesn’t need Cyrus to rip it down and put it back up. It will destroy it.  
That’s what I call bad faith. That right there I think is pretty reasonable, but a  
reasonable person would find these are the light switches of the main bathroom.  
Sometimes when you have someone in there and it would be very hot because  
someone accidentally hit the heat vent. So they are labeled. Spotlight. Floodlight.  
Heater. But by me labeling Mr. Clint Zane says it is going to be a bed and breakfast.  
Moermond: and I hear you saying that and the difference is the electrical permit. I’m  
going to focus on that piece.  
Yannarelly: to his point, I don’t understand why Mr. Zane is commenting on this. If I  
have a Hamm’s sign in my basement it doesn’t mean I am opening a bar.  
Moermond: and I’m tending to be in the same place.  
Skliris: for 12 minutes I sat quietly, and when I wanted to speak he said he had to get  
going. You can see and smell that this is not right. This is bedroom 3, the main door.  
There is an alley door, a back door. I lived right across from the law school in St. Paul,  
the lights go out a lot. I got two spotlights that turn on if the lights go out. It was  
cheaper to get it with an exit sign. Something funny? When Herb showed Zane around  
Zane got lost and went into the pantry. At least now someone knows how to get out of  
the 3 doors.  
Moermond: what I’m taking from this is we have an exit door next to bedroom 3.  
Skliris: correct and one more thing we can add is Mr. Zane has an issue with me  
purchasing a digital lock because it is a sign to him that it is a bed and breakfast—  
Moermond: and again, I’m going to go all this impacts, besides the customer service  
piece, which I do get, is the electrical permit.  
Skliris: I brought it up because he is insistently bringing it up.  
Moermond: I hear you, let’s keep going.  
Skliris: Patton, my $23,000 guy, installed the five gas lines. One where an oven goes.  
It should have an L shaped line. I took a photo, said fix this and clean the duct work  
and hang the vent hood. Ever since Mr. Zane called them and said, “we need to get  
your permits.” He is telling me he needs $750 to go find them. He is pissed and said  
he isn’t coming until I pay the last $6,000. I never had this issue. In my first email, if  
my $160,000 degree is worth anything, it is “upon completion if you agree to this I will  
pay you 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3.”  
Moermond: you contacted the contractor and alerted them this wasn’t stubbed out  
correctly and you were looking to them to fix that. I didn’t hear anything saying they  
said no.  
Skliris: his wife said in an email that they would come once I pay the balance in full.  
Which means if the mechanical inspector finds an issue with the UV lights that were  
installed on this $23,000 furnace, he noted these could deteriorate the rubber over  
time so they need to be moved 24 inches away. There are things Mr. Patton’s company  
need to change per the requirements of the inspector. What recourse do I have?  
Here’s your $23,000, even though we didn’t agree on that. You said that is common  
practice when we talked about this before. But ever since the City got involved and  
called him he isn’t happy and is taking it out on me, the homeowner. It is important to  
share that because I didn’t have these issues before we were stirring the hornet’s nest.  
Moermond: what should I take from this photo?  
Skliris: this is the stairwell when you go down from the main floor. It is a paper  
template of a mosaic, real gold, that has been ordered from overseas that will be a  
chapel. If you go to the Greek orthodox church on Summit, you will see a place to read  
and pray to our Christian God and the mother who gave birth to Christ. These things  
you wouldn’t put in an AirBNB.  
Moermond: yes. Next picture.  
Skliris: this is what I bought at Costco. This is the cement pad for the generator.  
Typical things you don’t put in an AirBNB.  
Moermond: I think we can move this forward in a way you can either participate by  
phone or do this in writing.  
Skliris: the concern is the one time I tried to participate by phone during Covid, I was  
on the line for four hours. My boss asked if I was going to be on the line again for four  
hours? I was taken last.  
Moermond: that was the City Council Public Hearing and we have no control over that  
at all. We have attorneys sitting in the room too, they’re just racking up billable hours.  
It is what it is. I apologize and yet you don’t know how many people will show up. I  
acknowledge and apologize yet it is the nature of what they do. Anything else we need  
to scan before we wrap up?  
[permit tags are scanned and added in record]  
Skliris: do you have a copy of the 2021 inspection?  
Moermond: I have it right here.  
Skliris: and comparing apples to oranges, that is what was asked of me. That is what I  
satisfied. Let’s really in good faith try to land this plane so you don’t have to see me  
under this context. I really appreciate any insight to look at this with fresh eyes and  
see that Mr. Skliris in fact, has done what has been asked, and these are new things  
and to ask him to remove and rip out showers and sheetrock—another thing one of the  
inspectors said is “we don’t have any paper trail of the duct work being inspected so  
you can either open all the sheetrock or you can do an air test and spray it with foam.”  
How is Patton going to do that now? He’s owned a $6,000 balance. I asked how much  
is that? It is negligence, you don’t have the paperwork. He said $1,5000 to $2,000. Do I  
expect Patton, after it has been open years, to do this foam test? No, this is going to  
kick it another year. I drive every day 3 hours back and forth. This is new stuff they are  
asking me to do. I would never do this as a government official for someone who is on  
probation. Make up new stuff. That is wrong.  
One other thing I want to share with you. I didn’t get to meet them, but there was  
another inspector who came in when I wasn’t there and—this is important—I happen to  
live by the Menards in the Midway and happen to know John who works there. I said  
“John, you know what the inspector said to me? He told me I have to remove all the  
sheetrock in the basement because it isn’t the green moisture resistant kind.” I talked  
to Herb. He said, “they’re full of it” and used some other expletives. They’re full of crap.  
John said Stamate, “I’ve never heard of that, I’ll ask.” I come every Friday from work,  
20 contractors who buy bulks of sheetrock, and guess what? No one has ever heard  
you put moisture resistant in your basement in Minnesota and in your bathrooms. Ask  
him to show you the Code.” Guess what I did? I replaced it all like a dummy and paid  
another $5,000 to have it done over. I’ve had a lot of suffering from unreasonable  
requests by these inspectors.  
Moermond: I will look at these things.  
Skliris: that’s really important. It took a long time for me to install it, pay it, rip it down,  
take it to the trash, and put up new sheetrock.  
Moermond: and a couple of houses ago we did basement work and did use the  
water-resistant sheetrock for all of the work. I don’t know but putting that out there.  
We’ve got your documents, fantastic. The question in my mind, the end game, with the  
contractors and sign offs, you are telling me you have balances on those accounts.  
Skliris: none, other than Patton.  
Moermond: I would want to see, for whatever we end up having to do to move forward,  
that you have the wherewithal financially to complete the work. Reminding you that is  
something we’d check before I say to the City Council to give you another 180 days.  
Same as round one.  
Skliris: here’s the issue with that. Yes that amount is concrete, but now that Patton  
has asked to do a foam test--  
Moermond: I hear what you are saying about it being a different number. Let’s say  
everything you say is where I land. Still, I need to see that you can finish paying your  
contractor to get the Code Compliance certificate issued. That’s all I’m doing, the  
same as when we talked last time.  
Skliris: I did submit it to Joanna and then we kicked the can down the road because  
they asked for more time to come to the home.  
Moermond: I’m talking about 8 months ago when this went to Council originally. You  
agree that at least the $6,000 is outstanding. Work plan and ability to execute it. We’ll  
talk about what the work plan looks like. I’ll review this and we will send a follow up  
letter on Friday. Do not expect that I will have my analysis done by then.  
Laid Over to the Legislative Hearings due back on 7/11/2023  
RLH RR 23-25  
Second Making finding on the appealed substantial abatement ordered  
for 975 HUDSON ROAD in Council File RLH RR 22-60. (Refer to June  
13, 2023 Legislative Hearing)  
Layover to LH June 27, 2023 at 10 am. Making finding forthcoming pending anticipated  
issuance of CC certificate prior to Council Public Hearing.  
Lorie Miller, owner, appeared via phone  
Derek Thooft, attorney, appeared via phone  
Staff update by Supervisor Joe Yannarelly: the building inspector hasn’t been able to  
reinspect to determine the percentage complete. Was he scheduled to be out there?  
Moermond: and why was that?  
Yannarelly: it was a no show by Ms. Miller. I don’t have a date of that proposed  
Moermond: he notes he did have one and it was a no-show. In any event a letter went  
out reiterating that you needed to schedule that inspection. We haven’t had that  
inspection. I laid the matter over from May 22 to now. What is going on?  
Miller: I did have the inspection scheduled for last Thursday, last week. Unfortunately,  
there was a water emergency where I rent, they called me in the morning and said there  
was something leaking from my unit and it was a chaotic morning for me. So, I did  
miss that inspection, I do have it rescheduled for 2 days from now. This Thursday. In  
addition, I feel like we will pass. We have been signed off by plumbing and electrical. I  
need to schedule HVAC to come back out and look at a clogged vent in the bathroom  
exterior. Mechanical needed a receipt for a duct cleaning and some photos and I’ve  
done that.  
Moermond: I see that right now the warm air contractor, Metro Heating & Air, that’s the  
permit we are talking about. Then also the general building permit, but that would be  
open until everything else is done. What do you have for a timeline? Is there any  
money outstanding?  
Miller: everyone has been paid. I do hope to pass on Thursday. If we don’t I imagine it  
will be a couple minor things. Hard to predict what those are.  
Moermond: when is the warm air reinspection?  
Miller: he just needs a day notice, so I am hoping he can come out tomorrow.  
Moermond: did you talk to him this morning?  
Miller: I didn’t, I do have a call into him. Worse case is Thursday and they’re both done  
Moermond: I need to get this to Council. You want it done. You’re thinking sign-offs  
this week even. I’ll put this on the Council’s agenda June 28. At that time, I’d love to  
report that the Code Compliance certificate was issued and the matter resolved.  
Otherwise, your Performance Deposit is in play, honestly. This is the second  
making-finding. We’ve been at this a long time. Let’s get this taken care of so you can  
get that money back. I want to see that done by June 27th when I look at it. Mr. Thooft  
any questions?  
Thooft: I know what is expected of us.  
Referred to the City Council due back on 6/28/2023  
11:00 a.m. Hearings  
Summary & Vehicle Abatement Orders  
Appeal of Richard Pittman to a Vehicle Abatement Order at 817  
Layover to LH June 20, 2023 at 11 am (unable to reach PO).  
Voicemail left at 12:20 pm x 5411: this is Marcia Moermond from St. Paul City Council  
calling Mr. Richard Pittman about an appealed Vehicle Abatement Order. We will try  
back in 15 to 20 mins.  
Voicemail left at 12:41 pm at x5411: this is Marcia Moermond from St. Paul City  
Council calling you again. I’m going to continue this matter to next Tuesday at 11:00  
and talk to you then.  
Laid Over to the Legislative Hearings due back on 6/20/2023  
Correction Orders  
Appeal of Joseph Zimlich, Jr. to a Correction Notice at 880 ROSE  
Layover to LH June 27, 2023 at 11 am for further discussion. Staff to review City code  
regarding direct access to exterior.  
Jason Zimlich  
Laurie Kurecsky  
[Moermond gives background of appeals process]  
Staff report by Supervisor Lisa Martin: a Correction Notice was sent May 19, 2023. The  
main issue on the Correction Notice is the emergency escape. The mother is sleeping  
in the main living room with no direct egress from the home. There is a dumpster on  
site so it sounds like they’re working on the other items.  
Zimlich: we’ve been doing research on the code and it says at least one window in a  
sleeping room be opening from the inside. That has 3 doors, 2 of which are French  
doors that lead to the living room and one to the hallway. Going to the hallway you are  
10 feet 5 inches from being outside.  
Kurecsky: they’ve used it for 50 years as a bedroom. The family they bought it from  
also used it as a bedroom. It has a closet. It has 2 entrances and 2 exits. My parents  
are in their 80’s it would be hard for us to move them. they’ve done this for 60 years. If  
we moved them into the room we could consider a bedroom they would have to drop  
out a window. My mother is having her hip replaced. My father just had one replaced.  
There is no physical way for them to escape. There are two means of escape from the  
room they are in.  
Moermond: 10 feet isn’t directly outside, but I hear your argument. I see a photo with a  
bed and a gold-colored curtain. That looks like it may be covering a window?  
Kurecsky: yes. That covers a window.  
Moermond: what kind of window is that?  
Kurecsky: a bay window with a stained-glass window above it.  
Moermond: when you say bay window, I’m assuming it isn’t able to be opened since  
the inspector wrote the orders they did?  
Kurecsky: that is correct. We couldn’t find a way to open it. It is either painted or  
sealed shut somehow. Or maybe since it was 1904 it was never a functioning window.  
Moermond: when a decision is made on one specific order that doesn’t mean a  
particular bedroom has to be the other choice, and I would add, Ms. Martin, this is  
more about getting someone out in the case of someone who isn’t physically able, the  
fire truck would have a ladder, it isn’t just someone jumping out. An egress window but  
anyone with a second-floor bedroom they aren’t going to jump out and break a leg. Ms.  
Martin, comments?  
Kurecsky: I was referring to the other room to be used as a bedroom on the main floor.  
The other bedroom has a small window. The Fire Department’s best access is through  
the front door.  
Moermond: I’m going to double check the fire code on this, look at things carefully.  
I’ve done this a long time and there are very narrow exceptions to the direct access to  
the outside requirement, whether that is a window or door directly to the exterior. That  
hasn’t meant passing through a hallway, but on rare occasions there are  
circumstances I haven’t foreseen. Caselaw. I want to turn the rocks over and make  
sure I land this right. I’d like to continue this a couple of weeks, in the meantime how  
are you doing with the balance of the orders?  
Kurecsky: everything is great. There are 4 of us, we do work full time but I spent four  
hours last Monday going through storage with my parents with a dumpster. We’ve been  
cleaning all hands on-deck with my siblings and in laws. We’ve donated many items.  
We’re taking this very seriously. We’re grateful for the wakeup call. We don’t want to  
deal with it after my parents are gone, we’d rather do this with them. WE just have this  
issue with the bedroom  
Jason: we would like an extension of the time.  
Kurecsky: we do all work fulltime. We have made wonderful progress, but the 21  
makes us nervous. We won’t have it completely cleared by then.  
Martin: the reason the orders were written this way he can make sure progress is  
continuing to be made, but we’d like to make sure things are going in the right  
Kurecsky: that’s reasonable. My mother is having surgery on the 21 and then going  
into rehab. I did explain that the 21 isn’t a viable date.  
Martin: we’d be ok with July, Ms. Moermond. Obviously your mom’s surgery comes  
Kurecsky: we’re thinking end of July because we’re all gone together the 4th of July.  
Hopefully mom goes from the nursing home to that vacation with her family. End of  
July to meet with Will.  
Moermond: I do want to note this is the 5th file on this property. You may be aware of  
Kurecsky: we only knew of this current one, and one other.  
Moermond: 2012, 2016, 2017, and a cleanup was done by DSI.  
Kurecsky: can you elaborate on that? Joey does own the home, and he wasn’t aware  
and neither was Jason.  
Moermond: the appellant was Joseph Zimlich, orders issued to Jason indicating the  
entire yard was full of debris. Structural integrity of garage was under hazard due to  
Kurecsky: that is the one we knew of.  
Moermond: anyway, we’ll talk again in a couple of weeks. we can tackle this then and  
I’ll work with fire in the meantime.  
Laid Over to the Legislative Hearings due back on 6/27/2023  
Appeal of Daniel & Cheryl Dobervich to a Correction Order at 1485  
Layover to LH June 27, 2023 at 11 am for further discussion. PO to apply for  
encroachment permit with Public Works and call 411 to flag utility lines.  
Daniel Dobervich, owner, appeared via phone  
[Moermond gives background of appeals process]  
Staff report by Supervisor Lisa Martin: May 16, 2023 a Correction Notice was issued to  
owner. The complaint came in from Public Works because there is a curb covered in  
class 5, no curb cut, and they’re doing street repairs. We have about 8 items listed. I  
met with the owner, very nice person, but this doesn’t meet Code in St. Paul.  
Accessory structures, class 5 no ground cover, construction vehicles.  
Moermond: why are you appealing Mr. Dobervich?  
Dobervich: we want to comply with the Code, we have the same interests as us I feel.  
We have had this property for 13 years and weren’t aware we weren’t in compliance.  
Nonetheless, our goal in 3 to 4 years was to bring it saleable condition. Now we have  
to relocate inventory I’ve accumulated over these years. Instead of having 4 years the  
best I can do is 3 to 4 months. I’m also working full time. That’s my primary concern.  
The stress levels. To do everything it has to be done carefully. I have valuable  
materials. We’ve had 3 factory moves and downsized. Our factory now is in Burnsville.  
It is many small moves during safe times. Then I can move equipment, I have a facility  
in Wisconsin for that.  
Moermond: I think the reason you didn’t have any communication with the City is  
because you are an owner occupant and the City doesn’t go do an inspection except  
for a complaint being filed. It sounds like Public Works was there and were alarmed  
by the gravel in the right-of-way. Is that gone now?  
Dobervich: no, in order to get the materials out. We’ve been gone 10 days. I need to  
get it off the curb to remove the materials. I’m more than happy to remove it. I can do  
it immediately temporarily. I need to ramp to get materials out. I do need to have the  
Moermond: so, you built your driveway in a fashion it requires a ramp to get your  
vehicle out?  
Dobervich: its 3 feet of material.  
Moermond: you built your driveway in a way that you need the public right-of-way to  
move things. As a public official looking at that I’m thinking what? Honestly, that’s my  
reaction. It is extremely unusual. I wouldn’t dream of doing something like that  
personally, not even for a wheelchair ramp. That’s something you do with the proper  
apron. It is an article of good faith to address that immediately. We’re a month later.  
Have you done any of the items on the list?  
Dobervich: we have removed a vehicle in the back. A car in the back is gone. And  
we’ve made arrangements to sell the equipment. In order to get that out I do need  
access in and out temporarily. Just to get over the curb. I have one approach to get to  
that space.  
Moermond: unless you drove it across your front yard to your actual driveway?  
Dobervich: there’s no way to do that. There is 8 feet between my house and the  
neighbor’s fence. No other way out of the yard.  
Moermond: why can’t you use your driveway?  
Dobervich: I have slabs of granite. The accessory lot to get materials out there is no  
path other than the south side of my house.  
Moermond: I guess I’m still not understanding. You have access to the east to your  
driveway from Winthrop. And the ad hoc driveway appears to go onto Winthrop.  
Dobervich: correct, that’s the one I need to use.  
Moermond: and you can’t go in front of the house why?  
Dobervich: I don’t know I should be driving over gas lines and things like that.  
Moermond: have you had that checked next to the house? How do you know it isn’t an  
issue there?  
Dobervich: yes, we have.  
Moermond: Ms. Martin, some of these orders you issued in the form of a Correction  
Notice. That’s a ‘would you please take care of the items by the deadline’ with the  
implication for failure to meet deadline would be an escalation of the type of order or  
the beginning of an Excessive Consumption assessment process.  
Martin: yes. He agreed to come into compliance but needed more time. We  
encouraged him to file the appeal. WE would have sent a Summary Abatement Order  
for a one-week compliance which would then give the City the right to access the  
Moermond: we measured the hoop houses as more like 26x16 rather than the 200  
square feet based on 12x16.  
Dobervich: those accessory structures need to be reduced in size. I agree. They are  
more like 315 square feet. There are two of them. I know those are out of compliance.  
Moermond: I’d like to see a specific plan on how you are going to tackle this. I’d like  
you to approach public works and ask for an encroachment permit. Let’s get them  
signing off on a temporary obstruction.  
Dobervich: I don’t know if I can talk to someone from Public Works?  
Moermond: I’d like you to apply for that permit and start that conversation with them.  
We can use that information to inform how we proceed.  
Dobervich: that sounds good.  
Moermond: I’m also going to ask if you can call and get flags on the property for water  
electric and gas lines are so we are clear on that. Can you do that?  
Dobervich: sure, yes. I think I’ve been timely with everything I’ve been asked to do. I  
called Mr. Kedrowski and once you file an appeal within the time-frame that it is on  
Moermond: that is exactly right. While we are talking and until we come to a conclusion  
enforcement of the May 16th order is stayed.  
Laid Over to the Legislative Hearings due back on 6/27/2023  
1:00 p.m. Hearings  
Vacant Building Registrations  
Appeal of David E. Jacobowitch to a Vacant Building Registration  
Requirement at 839 EDMUND AVENUE WEST.  
Waive the VB fee for 90 days (to September 9, 2023) and allow permits to be pulled.  
David Jacobowitch, owner, appeared  
Moermond: we have a Vacant Building registration renewal. This is year two. I’ve  
reviewed the file and where you are at in the process with permits and where we go  
from here.  
Staff report by Supervisor Joe Yannarelly: as you indicated I see a finaled permit on  
the plumbing.  
Jacobowitch: is that natural gas or water plumbing?  
Yannarelly: it says residential repair, gas fitting only.  
Jacobowitch: or is it for both?  
Yannarelly: I am assuming it is for both.  
Jacobowitch: so you’re just guessing.  
Moermond: I have it open. It says, “80 foot gas piping hook up to the dryer, water  
heater, range and boiler.” Is that what you were thinking?  
Jacobowitch: that’s the gas piping. I was wondering if there was one for the water  
piping as well.  
Moermond: we have a permit application that was withdrawn.  
Jacobowitch: that would impact my next step.  
Moermond: the applicant for the permit  
Jacobowitch: I know we repeatedly tried to apply for permits, but I’m not sure what was  
granted. Which is why clarification is needed.  
Moermond: July of 2022 MacQuillan went in to apply for part of what I just talked  
about. For whatever reason that was abandoned. We have a reapplication in October  
which was finaled. I show a very old plumbing permit which is from 2012.  
Jacobowitch: the 2012 was for repairs but additional things need to be done according  
to the Code Compliance Inspection Report.  
Joe Yannarelly: we have a mechanical permit issued in November and plumbing as  
well. As far as property maintenance there haven’t been any issues at the property.  
Jacobowitch: I want it clear what we have done. The entire natural gas supply system  
from the meter throughout the house has been entirely replaced. The boiler is up and  
running. It has been ORSAT tested. All requirements have been met. Water heater  
has been inspected. It is ready to go. All of the valving on the radiators, 16 of them,  
have been replaced. That was $16,000 by itself. The Chimney has a new liner. We  
also discovered upon that inspection a crack in the brickwork. That was an expensive  
repair, but it is done. All of those items are done and ready to be finalized. I called Mr.  
Wickland and told him, I believe I have a code compliant heating system please come  
out. He rescheduled a time to come out and then cancelled at the last minute saying  
he won’t inspect partially. That kind of bugged me.  
Moermond: is that relative to your mechanical permit?  
Jacobowitch: yes.  
Moermond: the appeal today is about your Vacant Building fee for 2023 to 2024. What  
I was looking for when I asked about permits was a sense of progress. I hear you are  
working on it and making progress.  
Jacobowitch: I spent about $40,000 so far. I’m a poor guy. That’s a significant  
investment for me. I’m about halfway done. Another $40,000 more to spend to get it  
Code Compliant. Unfortunately, I don’t have that now. I’m going as fast as I can. My  
income is only about $50,000. I borrowed $50,000 to do this. I have to raise $25,000  
additional to pay someone to do this. Ms. Moermond, I honestly don’t know how I’m  
going to find that money. This house was built 122 years ago, it was never built to  
Moermond: there was a building code back that. It would have been built to that code  
at that time. The gas issue was certainly the most important one to deal with you. You  
are looking at a steep Vacant Building fee. It went up considerably. You have a lot of  
work left still. It sounds like you pulled money from a bank?  
Jacobowitch: yes.  
Moermond: have you looked at local community development corporations?  
Jacobowitch: I applied to the City and the Rondo Development fund. My grandfather  
lost 2 properties in the 60’s. I was told I qualified and then later told me they  
suspended the program because the response was greater than funds available. That’s  
the last I heard.  
Moermond: I heard the same thing; they didn’t have enough money to cover all the  
applications so they did a cut off. Did you talk to Rondo Land Trust?  
Jacobowitch: I have not. 19 years ago I put a brand-new roof deck and shingles on the  
house. It was leaking when I bought the house. I got money from West End  
Community Development Council, $30,000 to rebuild the windows. That is still in  
decent shape.  
Moermond: why are you bringing this up?  
Jacobowitch: I borrowed $30,000, the other $10,000 was contingent upon living there  
for 10 years, and then 8 or 9 years ago they sent me a letter saying they were going to  
waive the additional $10,000. They even sent a tax form. I was wondering when I  
borrowed the $50,000 if there was record of the $10,000 on the loan. So, I went to the  
successor organization to see if I owe $10,000 or not.  
Moermond: you need to go to Ramsey County Recorder’s office and see if a  
satisfaction of mortgage was filed. I’m going to recommend you go to Rondo Land  
Trust. They may have help for you. But you have a Vacant Building fee today we need  
to wrestle with. I normally can give a 90-day waiver in a situation like yours. But that  
won’t get this job done. You have money you need. Let this go to assessment and we  
can talk about as a tax assessment appeal where we can again look at its reduction.  
Another tool I have is to make payments up to five years. I don’t have that option as a  
renewal. You can pull building permits as an owner-occupant if you have that skill set.  
We will waive that Vacant Building fee for 90 days so you can continue to pull permits.  
[long discussion about how tax assessments and tax forfeiture works]  
Jacobowitch: what you’re saying is they will delay hanging me.  
Moermond: you need good advice. I am a hearing officer. I can’t be your advisor. Talk  
to Rondo Land Trust.  
Referred to the City Council due back on 6/28/2023  
Appeal of Ruthelle West to a Vacant Building Registration Requirement  
at 566 HALL AVENUE.  
Waive the VB fee for 90 days (to August 11, 2023).  
Ruthelle West, owner, appeared via phone  
[Moermond gives background of appeals process]  
Staff report by Supervisor Joe Yannarelly: this was a fire rehab that is ongoing.  
Multiple permits are pulled. They’re looking for more time.  
Moermond: pretty common with fires that it goes a year or more. You said a few  
months in your appeal, where are you at?  
West: I need installation of cabinets, plumbing, painting, and installing door and floor  
Moermond: so, you have done a lot. When do you think you’ll be done?  
West: I said a couple of months because every time I give a timeline a contractor says  
they can’t do it at that time. They were supposed to be done March 10th. That put  
everything else behind. Flooring is now done.  
Moermond: I can easily do a 3-month waiver of the Vacant Building fee. You went into  
the program May 11, so a 90-day waiver takes you to August 11. Not a ton of time, but  
if this ends up not being done by then, which may happen, when you get that special  
tax assessment letter, appeal it. We can talk about prorating the fee.  
West: August 11 takes some pressure off.  
Referred to the City Council due back on 6/28/2023  
Appeal of Blake Elliott, Sur La Rue, Inc and Bridges MN, to a Vacant  
Building Registration Requirement at 1561 WHEELOCK RIDGE ROAD.  
Grant the appeal of the Vacant Building registration on the condition the Fire C of O is  
issued by August 1, 2023.  
Blake Elliot, Sur La Rue, Inc and Bridges MN, appeared via phone  
[Moermond gives background of appeals process]  
Staff report by Supervisor Mitchell Imbertson: a one-unit residential building in our  
Certificate of Occupancy program. We’ve been trying to get in the building. The initial  
attempt was December 2022. A few reschedules for various reasons, and we had yet  
to do a full interior inspection. We were advised there was going to be an eviction on  
May 10th. In the meantime, before that inspection, it was referred to Code  
Enforcement and picked up by the Vacant Building program.  
Staff report by Supervisor Joe Yannarelly: the St. Paul Police Department referred it to  
the problem property officer with Code Enforcement. He found it vacant with a lot of  
junk at the property. He spoke with the neighbors and they said it was a “squatter  
house” so he referred it to the Vacant Building program. We opened a Category 2  
Vacant Building. It appeared vacant and secure at time of inspection and issued  
orders for junk and a vehicle.  
Moermond: Mr. Elliot, where are you at and what’s the plan?  
Elliot: we had a former employee and her family living there. There was rent payment  
and physical condition issues. We had complaints from neighbors. We did move  
forward with the eviction process and were successful. Had to get a writ for physical  
eviction. As a legal requirement we had to hold their personal property. Around May  
10th we also did a cleanup of the property to ensure the exterior was clean. We weren’t  
able to remove the jaguar in the driveway they appear to be abandoning. We just hit  
the 20 days this past week. We have now moved the physical property to storage and  
donation. Before this notice had an interested party in renting it once the 28-day clock  
ran out. It is our understanding that until the physical eviction the tenants were living  
there until May 10th.  
Moermond: what are the conditions of the house? Is there damage on the interior?  
Routine maintenance?  
Elliot: the biggest thing was unfortunately dumpster thieves. There were 5 bed sets. 3  
couches. A Jaguar parked in the driveway.  
Moermond: that is gone.  
Elliot: our costs have been in dumpster fees and the house is in good shape beyond  
Moermond: how long until you’re ready to get that Certificate of Occupancy inspection?  
Elliot: I think the dumpster is coming this week and maintenance will be out early next  
week. So late next week.  
Moermond: you probably want to make sure you do a walk through for the standard  
items like smokes and carbons. I’d like to get you out of the Vacant Building program  
if you can get your Fire Certificate of Occupancy issued before August 1.  
Elliot: 100 percent we can do that.  
Moermond: your inspector is now Der Vue.  
Imbertson: communicate directly with her after you get it cleaned out so you have time  
to do any repairs we may find.  
Referred to the City Council due back on 6/28/2023  
1:30 p.m. Hearings-NONE  
2:00 p.m. Hearings  
Fire Certificates of Occupancy  
Appeal of Christopher Petersen, Power-of-Attorney for Tony E. Petersen  
(father), to a Fire Inspection Correction Notice at 540 CHARLES  
Layover to LH June 27, 2023 at 2 pm for further discussion.  
Roger Anderson, attorney, appeared via phone  
Chris Petersen, Power of Attorney for Tony E. Petersen, appeared via phone  
Moermond: today we are wrapping up on the retaining wall issue.  
Petersen: I thought we were receiving information.  
Moermond: happy to pass that on. I’ll read it into the record. The person who I  
consulted was Glen Pagel. He is the City bridge engineer in Public Works. Believe it  
or not they work on retaining wall issues. His response to my inquiry, which was: “Per  
our conversation early in the day, I have attached the appeal for the property I talked to  
you about. As you can see in the owner’s written statement attached to the appeal  
(pages 2 and 3 of the document), he contends the retaining wall was built by and  
should be maintained by the city. I believe he also thinks it’s in the ROW. Look  
forward to hearing your thoughts.” So I sent the whole appeal to him. In response I got  
“hello Marcia, I have reviewed the information concerning the DSI repair order appeal  
for the small back of sidewalk wall at 540 Charles Street. Several observations lead  
me to the conclusion that this wall is not a city responsibility.  
1) The construction of the Wall is of mortared Cinder Block construction. This is not a  
construction method that the  
city has ever used.  
2) The Type and age of retaining wall changes at each property line. If the City had  
constructed the walls along this  
roadway the entire wall traversing all parcels would be of the same construction type.  
3) Several properties along this block have an out-slope with a stairway rather than a  
The appeal states that the owner believes the wall was installed to allow for  
construction of the sidewalk. I am  
forwarding your email to the Street Design and Construction Division asking that  
Division to determine the merits of that portion of the appeal. It is my opinion that the  
result of any such investigation would show that the wall was not built to allow for the  
construction of the sidewalk. The most likely reason for the construction of the wall  
was to level the property’s front  
So that was his response. I had a phone conversation with him on a couple follow up  
questions. I asked him to look at the side angle photograph of the retaining wall as it  
relates to the sidewalk. I observed 6 inches between the sidewalk and the retaining  
wall, which was a cement strip. I asked him, when the City installs the sidewalk are  
you putting it exactly on the right-of-way line and are you doing that under survey.  
Because that extra strip appeared an di didn’t know what to make of that public  
property wise. He said yes of course the City does extensive surveys. It appeared to  
him that the strip was private, which reinforces the concept the wall itself is private. He  
went on to say he believes the City owns 16 retaining walls, all of which are 15 to 20  
feet in height. That would be one thing. He did note returns into where the stairway  
exists and he said the City doesn’t construct returns in that fashion. I’m sending that  
on to you. That information is contrary to the information you were providing. I know  
you won’t agree and that is ok. I think we’re now in problem resolution mode. You just  
got that information. I wish I would have gotten this taken care of; I was on medical  
leave. It would be premature to ask you to react to that information. Is there anything  
you’d want to say at this juncture?  
Anderson: I think we would like to review that. Will you be sending that email?  
Moermond: staff will send that right now. How much time would you like to consider  
Anderson: a couple of weeks should suffice. My calendar is open. Chris?  
Petersen: I think a couple weeks is fine. Are there any historical pictures, or no?  
Moermond: they aren’t in the City’s possession. It doesn’t mean they don’t exist. You  
could check with the Historical Society. You could also look for a Sandborn fire  
insurance map. Those are aerial that look at the type of house. We can talk June 27th  
and finalize the recommendation at that time.  
Laid Over to the Legislative Hearings due back on 6/27/2023  
Appeal of Linda Kohl and Nick Geng for Bigos Management/On the Park  
condos to a Correction Order at 380 JACKSON STREET (198 SIXTH  
Recommendation forthcoming. LHO to talk to Building Official.  
Nick Geng, Bigos Building engineer, appeared via phone  
Stephanie Simmons, Bigos Regional Management, appeared via phone  
Linda Kohl, association secretary for On the Park, appeared  
Larry Braun, association president of On the Park, appeared  
Brad Lerhrkey, occupant and board member, appeared  
Staff update by Supervisor Mitchell Imbertson: we have a continuation of an appeal  
already heard. There is a stairway in this building that goes through 3 levels of  
apartment garage and 9 stories of a building. It exits and the first floor to a lobby by  
ON the Park Condos. This is an exit for the parking ramp and 9 stories of the building.  
A lock was added to the door from the stairway at the first floor. That keeps the door  
from being opened so there is no proper exit. You’d have to go down below grade  
through the parking ramp or would need a key for the door. This is a safety concern as  
this is a required exit, and you would be directed up the stairs 3 levels from the parking  
ramp to a ramp you couldn’t leave or go through the ramp you just left or be trapped in  
the stairway.  
Moermond: what I was remembering was that you folks were going to look at some  
type of code analysis.  
Braun: we thought you were doing it. That lock was added in 1984. It has always been  
locked. And it electrically unlocks when there is a fire alarm. It wasn’t recently done.  
Our most recent Certificate of Occupancy was in 2022.  
Moermond: I get that. I think the confusion arises from the terms used. When we use  
the phrase “code analysis” that is invariably related to the owner or the developer going  
and hiring an engineer, architect, some design professional to assess the situation.  
Put their initials and credentials on how it meets code. I completely trust where you are  
coming from that you were looking for the City to do the analysis. That’s the term  
applied and I think I see where you are coming from. I’m sorry that our notes didn’t  
indicate Fire was to look into anything—  
You know what. This is my fault. When you all come with the same understanding of  
the same situation—I just need to pull the threads apart to figure out what happened. I  
said I would follow up with the Building Official. He was on vacation. I made note of  
that, I believe I even have an email out there. I think we were ships in the night  
because that ended a few days before I went on medical leave. It is on me and I  
sincerely apologize you made a trip down to City Hall. I sincerely apologize. It is time  
out of your life. I will address this and do it in a way that will keep you from having to  
attend another hearing. I feel like I remember my sentiment on it. I need to do that gut  
check with him and make sure that loop gets closed. That is what happen and I am so  
Referred to the City Council due back on 7/12/2023  
Appeal of Ronald Staeheli to a Fire Inspection Correction Order at 358  
Layover to LH July 25, 2023 (per request of PO; no further reschedules).  
Moermond: there was a request to reschedule this. We have found date that works for  
everyone, July 25 that Mr. Staeheli and Mr. Imbertson is here as well. We will set up a  
backup staff for that hearing.  
Laid Over to the Legislative Hearings due back on 7/25/2023