Moermond: sounds like Mr. Yannarelly has an assessment of no work happening. Is
Solomon: no work has been done because we have everything set up to move
forward, we even pulled a permit, and the contractor we were working with withdrew
at the last minute. We have been scrambling to get another contractor. The situation
with the cement work and wanting to start before it got cold. Unfortunately, with the
approval process for the contractors we weren’t able to go through in time to do it
before it got too cold to do cement work, and now we are waiting. Don Steele
contracting, we are trying to get the paperwork through the City. Unfortunately
starting in the middle of the winter isn’t possible, plus we need clearance from the
City STAR program. We wanted to request for an extension to do this work. We have
the funds, just unfortunately the last contractor backed out.
Moermond: right, the City gave you the money.
Asbu: we made sure no one went in the building, but unfortunately like Mr. Solomon
said. He was hoping to do the work without paying prevailing wages and hiring
minorities, so he put the price and it almost doubled. He wanted to back out of that
contract, that’s what prevented us. For us to have a realistic chance of doing the
cement work we had to start by end of the September. We approached a different
contractor and are working with the City STAR program and their confines. I think the
contractor, and I’m speculating, is it is hard to find people to do the cement work. We
are ready to move forward but we’d really appreciate an extension. We did do a lot of
work it just doesn’t show in the physical structure. We have put in a tremendous
amount of work.
Moermond: fencing the property and cleaning it out? That’s the work you are talking
Asbu: yes. We made sure we got dumpsters and all the equipment out so it isn’t
attractive for people to go in. We have do not enter signs and tape up. The snow
makes it difficult to go in, we purposely didn’t shovel the open area. The contractor
that came in said that for the most part what is remaining is structurally sound. For
the most part.
Moermond: fencing the building and removing items was a condition to even get to
the point to get the grant of time to work on this so I don’t count this toward the work
that should have been done. That had to be done whether it was demoed or not. If
you were a for-profit entity or private party there is no question I would ask another
$5,000 Performance Deposit was posted to ensure it is complete. Having 0% done I’d
also ask for the forfeit of the original $5,000. Since you are a nonprofit I am less
inclined to do so. I’d like to get a report from the STAR program to find out where
things are at. You had contracted with someone, if I remember with, the City worked
hard to use the contractor you already selected. You wanted to use them and the City
worked with you, so some of that is on you. I also noticed the building permit wasn’t
pulled until mid-October, and the grant of time was in July. I’m thinking you all could
have done better, but let’s get information from the STAR program. Are you still
working with Claudia Klinkhammer?
Moermond: are you getting new bids? I know cement work is temperature sensitive.
Solomon: yes. Don Steele, he is familiar with the program. I believe he had submitted
the City’s requirements to Claudia.
Ogbaselassie: the first contractor didn’t drop out until September, and everything was
in his hand. By saying we did everything, I had to work with Claudia and go to the St.